Sunday, December 2, 2018

Abundant Times!

Heading to Galmi Hospital for a couple of days to consult with the medical director

Paul and our pilot Joe! We are so grateful for the SIM pilots.

We had our noise cancelling earphones on....too loud without them

Up up and away as we fly over the airport in Niamey

We flew over farms attempting to grow vegetables in this hot and harsh climate

Yes, this is a desert! Very dry, sandy and desolate for the large part of the country
Dr, Margo Short in the OR at Galmi with the required long skirt! LOL a first for a University of Kentucky Anesthesia Resident

Paul and Dr. Margo doing anesthesia within minutes of landing!

Galmi Mission Hospital compound had some very pretty flowering bushes!
Dr. Anne-Sophie sharing morning devotions in Hausa. I understood the French sign behind her at least!

This was the hymnal. We sang Amazing Grace in Hausa. I can sing in Hausa because the words are written phonetically...aren't you impressed LOL!

Sweet nurse caring for a premature baby of about 2 lbs (1800gms)

This woman put the baby in my arms. I was not sure what this was all about. It turned out this was one of her twins and she was looking for help to feed the two. She did not not have enough milk. She was wanting another woman to help nurse the twins. The poor mother looked undernourished and dehydrated and suggested we find more food and water for her. Patients at the Galmi hospital have their food brought to them by the family members. Life is so complicated here.
Homeward bound to Niamey! We were so happy to be going home to our apartment and CURE Hôpital des Enfants au Niger

Home to Friday afternoon traffic!

Cattle have the right or way!
We are experiencing so many new things. We are seeing different types of healthcare in Niger. Paul has visited several clinics and other hospitals with his resident Dr. Margo Short. It has truly been an abundant time. Next blog I will post about our Thanksgiving.

It is easy to get so caught up in the needs and newness of all that we are seeing and experiencing. Each day we try to make sure that we turn to the LORD for strength, direction and wisdom. He is our peace and our Heavenly Father. His desire is that we grow more and more like the LORD JESUS CHRIST.  It is not so much what we DO but who we are in Him! Below is a hymn or prayer that is very old but it is one of desiring to grow daily. Do not be turned off my the old English. The message is sweet!


O Jesus Christ, Grow Thou in Me

 O Jesus Christ, grow Thou in me, and all things else recede!
My heart be daily nearer Thee,  from sin be daily freed.

Each day let Thy supporting might my weakness still embrace;
My darkness vanish in Thy light, Thy life my death efface.

In Thy bright beams which on me fall, face every evil thought;
That I am nothing, Thou art all, I would be daily taught.

More of Thy glory let me see, Thou Holy Wise and True!
I would Thy living image be, in joy and sorrow too.

Fill me with gladness from above; hold me by strength Divine;
Lord let the glow of Thy great love Thru my whole being shine.

Make this poor self grow less and less, be Thou my life and aim;
Oh make me daily through Thy grace more meet to bear Thy name! 

J.C. Lavater-translated by H.B. Smith
Public Domain

2 comments:

  1. Will pray that God will continue to uphold you in providing you and Paul with continued strength and wisdom as you minister to those around you. I have no doubt that you put in some very long days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. It must be an emotional rollercoaster as you deal with so many situations. Heartbreaking to see the mother of twins and not enough milk. Can’t imagine how hard her life is. May God bless you and help you to make a difference in such a harsh place.

    ReplyDelete