Friday, October 28, 2011

Voices......Part 2

Together!
During this recent journey to Niger, for economy, Paul and I decided that emailing and texting each other would be fine. The trip was only two weeks. We would avoid the cost and frustration of dropped calls, voice-mail, and time zone confusion. Who wants to get called at 3:30 AM for a cheery check-in or romantic tĂȘte a tĂȘte? The deal was that I would call Paul as I was leaving the USA from JFK in New York and when I arrived back there again. Meanwhile we would communicate via cyberspace daily. Simple, right? Everyone texts and emails all the time. Who needs to actually talk for most communication? Of course, this may be fine for some but......I missed the sound of Paul's voice sooooooo much. The first thing I wanted when I cleared US customs and took care of rechecking my bags, was to get a Starbucks? (NO!!) It was to call Paul on the phone and hear his voice! Words cannot describe the delightful sound of my precious husband's voice on that call. It was sweet, kind, gentle and reassuring. He promised to meet me at the Cincinnati airport in a few hours. Paul's voice was full of love and appreciation of our relationship. It was full of hope for our reunion and a special weekend trip to Atlanta for a friend's wedding. How could I get all that from a few moments on my iPhone? I know Paul well. Our first date was October 19, 1974....since then I have been learning his use of words and what each voice inflection, tremor, and tone means. For me, this is a reminder of my relationship with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ......


Do I long to hear His voice through scripture and the Holy Spirit's promptings?
Do I get excited to talk to the Lord in prayer regularly and often?
Are my communications to My Heavenly Father like text messages--abbreviated? 
Do I recognize the tone of intensity, urgency and love of my Savior as I read the Bible?
Does His name thrill me?



How sweet the name of Jesus sounds in a believer's ear!
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
And drives away his fear.

It makes the wounded spirit whole and calms the troubled breast:
'Tis manna to the hungry soul and to the weary rest.

Dear name! The Rock on which I build, 
My Shield and Hiding Place,
My never failing treasure filled with boundless stores of grace! 
(Public Domain)

Yes, coming home to hear Paul's voice has been so exciting and reassuring! Better still, what a blessing to know and hear the voice of the Almighty God of all nations as He speaks graciously and personally through the scriptures. What about the times when I am too tired, too lazy, too jet lagged, too distracted or have a hard time getting into God's Word? This is when I must recall Philippians 4:13.....'I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength'.....no wonder His voice is so winsome!

No comments:

Post a Comment