Friday, October 7, 2011

October 12-26 Heading back to Niger-Do your best, forget the rest!

Our wedding photo August 19,1978
Why do I have a wedding picture for a blog entry entitled 'Heading back to Niger'? Perhaps it is because weddings are on my mind...Marie and Zachary are getting married in 12 weeks, 11 hours, 27 minutes, as I type this? Yes, that's true but the real reason I have included this photo is because I am going to Niger, and I am going to miss Paul very much. Sure we have been apart for much longer stretches of time, but it is still hard to be away from the dearest partner God gave me. Please don't stop reading! This blog is not going going all mushy and TMI (too much information-as my kids tell me).
Those of you who know Paul, know that he is calm, steady and generous among other things. He keeps me in balance. When I travel, it is easy to want to sprint resulting in burnout or illness. Paul teaches me to pace myself. When I travel, I want to pour myself into whatever I do and do it with excellence.....sometimes I do not have the capabilities to meet expectations. Then it is easy to fall into the trap of feeling inadequate....then it is all about my feelings instead of being all about God, His Kingdom, His mission and His ways.  Paul teaches me to give what I have and leave the results with the LORD. 'Do your best, forget the rest' It is a challenge for sure as I anticipate what lies ahead. Yesterday and this morning, the Lord brought to my attention the gospel of John's account of the feeding of the 5000. ( John 6:1-14) The simple lesson is this, just as the young lad gave his little lunch to the Lord, I can do the same. I can give my limited skills and resources to the Lord. He will multiply them.  He will use others alongside me to fulfill His purposes. Jesus not only used the young lad's lunch, He used the disciples to distribute the food. In this way, the disciples had their hands-on experience with the miraculous provision for the multitudes. How am I going to participate in God's kingdom work in Niger? How will I adjust my attitudes of nervous inadequacy to vibrant confidence? I am rehearsing and reviewing this truth:

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Yes, the countdown is on for departure. My bags are nearly packed. The real preparation must be in my heart, to do my best, forget the rest for Christ is my help, strength, refuge, wisdom, comfort, guide, provider, healer, Savior, friend, counselor, Rock, King, Bread of Life, Living Water, peace, joy.....!!
What a joy to anticipate God's results and lives changed for eternity! God is so Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment