Friday, November 8, 2013

Serving with joy in Niger-Day 1



I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore, I have continued to extend faithful love to you.

Jeremiah 31:3

Today I observed something very sweet. I was unable to capture it on camera, so I hope to describe it well enough for you to have a picture of it in your mind.  Since my last visit, a mirror has been put up in the ward so that the children who have plastic surgery can see the results. Etched on the mirror is the above verse and these words....This is the face of someone whom Jesus loves! It is so sad that it is in English and not French yet the sentiment is translated by the Christian nurses for the patients.


A little later this morning, I saw a young man on his knees trying to see his face as the mirror is hung low for the little ones to see what they look like. This man had received cleft palate and lip surgery. According to the nurses, his face was completely transformed. I tried to observe him inconspicuously as it was so delightful to see this young man who was obviously thrilled with his new appearance. He kept touching his face and patting his head perhaps to reassure himself that the image was truly his own. It was totally precious to watch.

This man's face was transformed by surgery. He delighted in the new person he saw reflecting in the mirror. What a sweet illustration of what the Lord Jesus Christ does in our lives, by His grace.  Our ugly sinful lives are transformed by His work on the cross. The transformation is only possible at the hands of our Great God and Savior. The power and regeneration of the Holy Spirit truly makes all things new!! The Love of God is everlasting and continues through the good times and the bad ones too.

Sometimes we look in our physical mirrors and we note grey hairs, wrinkles or other features that we see as undesirable. A day at a spa or beauty parlor may give us some hope of improvement. Many turn to plastic surgery for youthful transformation....we know even that will not last forever.

Isn't it great to have a loving Great Physician who transforms us on the inside, too? He transforms our minds, our emotions, our motivations, our spirits so that we are increasingly a reflection of our LORD JESUS CHRIST!

Those of you who know me, know that is my longing as I serve the LORD. I long to look into the mirror of scripture and see less of me and more of our great GOD. It is His image I long to see and not my own.

So glad that I can look into the mirror and know that my face...wrinkles and all are loved by my LORD who is ever faithful. He is faithful to bring me to this country, this hospital and these dear people.  I get to see first hand His precious loving care. My Heavenly Father is ever faithful to bring life transformation from the perfect image of God found in the person of Jesus Christ.

One day, for those of us who belong to the LORD , we will be complete and like Jesus. Until then, we are given the privilege of reflecting His likeness those around us. My prayer that we would all the a 'sight for sore eyes' in a world of sin's ugliness. May we bring healing to the people whose paths we cross day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment