Sunday, August 22, 2010

Serving together: Kathryn

Kathryn and one of the special babies at CURE Hospital in Mbale

Mandi, Kathryn and Maureen at Landmark Inn for Indian food in Uganda!

Mandi and Kathryn distributing pens to CURE Staff
As children we sang a song: "Make new friends but keep the old, some are silver and the other gold!" Kathryn is my silver and gold friend now!! It was a delightful surprise to have Kathryn join the GO Team Uganda this summer. It was delightful for many reasons. Firstly, most of the team members are young....it was a great fun for me to have someone closer to my age and life experience. Secondly, Kathryn had been in the Peace Corps for several years and those experiences brought a richness to our team efforts. Kathryn was so helpful in our debriefing sessions at the end of our trip. Thirdly, Kathryn asks the most amazing, thoughtful and extremely hard questions!  I used to be scared by tough questions about my faith or about life...but now I see the wisdom in asking....seeking and finding answers....which may not be full or complete but at least hints leading toward reality and truth. For someone like me who has a firm confidence in God's Word, it is easy to get complacent and even sloppy in my understanding of God's ways.....thanks Kathryn for making me think harder! Sometimes as Christians, it is easy to think that we can check our brains at the church door! Please don't let that be me!  I learned some great things from Kathryn....she speaks plainly regarding spiritual matters.  Many of us, me in particular, can forget what it is like before coming to faith in Christ. Kathryn has a simplicity and depth in her words that God used to draw people to Himself.

Thank you Kathryn for your generosity in letting us post our blog from your Blackberry while in Uganda. Thank you Kathryn for your pictures, stories and videos of the mothers. The Polaroid pictures were a huge delight to the parents and caregivers. I am so much richer for spending time with you! Missing you!

May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace. Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God. Philippians 1:2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment