Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Developing character....not comfort! It's not about me....God's glory!

 
Nathan is one of the staff at CURE Children's Hospital of Uganda, who works in the OR. We have become dear friends....brother and sister in Christ! His family is delightful...they open their home to their own three sweet children plus cousins and other children at risk in their community. They are so hospitable! Life is hard for Nathan and his wife, Lornah. They have made many sacrifices to care for the little people of their community Namutela.....it is called a slum area as the living conditions are very rustic, crowded and poor. Nathan and Lornah love the Lord so much! He plays the keyboard most Wednesday mornings for staff Praise and Worship time.


Elisha is a nurse manager, next in command to Sister Florence, who is the Matron....Head Nurse of the hospital.....I get my titles mixed up with American, Canadian, Australian and British systems! Elisha functions similar to a NCT, nurse-clinician-teacher. He is a very brilliant young man. He loves the little ones who come for surgery. Elisha, cares very much about excellent nursing care! He loves his God and Savior. Elisha, too has made many sacrifices to serve the LORD at CURE. He is more concerned about obedience to God than his own comfort.

Moses is a social worker. He is on special assignment at the CURE hospital. He is collecting data following up on children who have received surgery for spina bifida and hydrocephalus. Moses travels often in the rural areas, collecting stories and data from the families. He is one of the first people I got to know at CURE in 2004. He and Peter Sagabo drew me a picture of a rose and wrote sweet words on a piece of paper. That picture hangs in my study today! Moses has a passion for the people of Uganda. He truly desires a better existence for the disabled children. He also plays a 'mean' drum for staff devotions!

These are precious men of God. I count it a privilege to call them friends and brothers! I think they call me Jaja or Mama as I am a grandmother and mother......I am considered OLD by Ugandan standards! We enjoy tea, cassava chips, good conversation and lots of laughs together! I am so excited to introduce my GO Team to these dear ones.....and there are plenty others to tell you about.

For our present troubles are small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! 2 Corinthians 4:17 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment