Friday, July 2, 2010

What to wear? What to pack?

What does one wear in Uganda? What's appropriate, comfortable and stylish? Our team is going to be noticed for being a group of 'muzungus' (meaning rich but locally refers to white skinned people). If we are going to stand out anyway, what does it matter how we dress?

Looking through my closet, I begin gathering modest skirts and dresses---nothing too flashy or expensive (not that I have designer/expensive stuff) and yet wonder...how did I accumulate so many outfits over the years?
I ask myself...what look do I want to have on this mission journey---casual, business professional, world traveler, local Ugandan style, hospital scrub cool or that Team leader 'missionary' look?

Oh, oh.....the Holy Spirit whispered Colossians 3:12-14

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.


That puts it all into perspective....it is not so much what I wear, but how I wear it!
These virtues are 'outfits' that never go out of style or clash with each other.

You may be wondering.....but what about footwear? How many pairs of shoes will you take...which ones? All women in our family are very conscious of having the right shoes.....we drove to Cincinnati yesterday to get the right shoes for Anne's white coat ceremony. We are seriously shoe-conscious women!

Once again, I was reminded that the most important shoes I can wear today are the
gospel shoes mentioned in Ephesians 6:15.

Will they look good though? Yes indeed...beautiful feet!
How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation.... Isaiah 52:7

Now I can pack! (And get rid of the excess baggage----it costs too much these days!)


No comments:

Post a Comment